Well into the new year, and tons of stuff on the go: continuing to work on my current novel, waiting for edit requests from my publisher for book 2 of my series, and ARCs for book 1 were mailed to reviewers this week. Prepping for the video filming for the book trailers for books 1&2 of the series. Also, I’m editing for a monthly client, just met with a potential client with a novel he may want done this year, waiting for all the short stories to come in for the anthology, and agreed to swap novels to beta-read with another author. The course I’m teaching this winter starts on Wednesday, and I’m planning not only my book tour for this summer/fall, but 2 writing retreats in February/March. Oh, yeah, and tons of reading as I am judging the Sunburst awards this year. So, lots of things to juggle!

Back in the saddle

Had a few days off for Christmas, but have been writing this week, too—and super-enjoying it! I finished a series of scenes, which I may not use, showing what the villain is up to. Stuff I need to know, but as a mystery, may have to be kept secret from the reader. Now I’m back on the main story line. Such fun!

Got a box of books!

I’m a judge for the Sunburst Award for adult and YA books published in 2018. Just received a box of 33 books (and there are 4 ebooks as well). That is BOX ONE. Not sure how many books there will be altogether, but the judges (there are 5 of us) have to come up with our top ten recommended books in each category by May 1 (the long list). The YA category so far is looking not too bad: only 6 books in it so far, meaning the top ten are almost chosen. The short list (top 5) shouldn’t be hard either—unless, of course, we get a bunch more books. I think publishers have until December 31 to submit their books, so there could be more coming, but I’m guessing not a ton more at this point. It will be good to become familiar with what’s been written in my field (SFF) across Canada for a given year. I’m sure I will learn a lot that will improve my own writing as I wrestle with what makes the top 10, 5 and 1 the best.

Took on a new editing client

I took on a new editing client. I was a bit leery of taking on anyone with a full novel, because I’m going to have a pretty full plate for the next while, but this person is writing short science fiction, so the work can be done in short bursts. Also, he’s a good writer, so that makes the work much more interesting for me!

Art Show

Had a great time at the Fine Arts and Crafts Show. I sold one painting and had queries on two others, and I sold a copy of my collection of short stories. Also, I got to connect with artists and attendees I hadn’t seen in a while.

My short story is eligible for the Nebulas

My short story, “For A Rich Man To Enter” (Intergalactic Medicine Show, May, 2018) is eligible for the Nebula Awards in 2019. I have posted my story in various places; now let’s see if anyone is interested in nominating it! I can’t nominate my own work, but I have been perusing the work of other writers and have a list of nominations in various categories ready to go.

Saw a 1939 Yellow Pages from Dieppe!

Tracking down the Dieppe Yellow Pages from 1939 was tricky. I arrived too late on Friday to go to the town hall, but it was open Saturday morning—unfortunately, not the Archives. I had a bike trip planned for Monday, so I went on Tuesday, but was told they did not have…either this document, or the Archives (my French was not that good and their English, about the same). They recommended I go to the Tourist Office for a map.

Hmm. I explained I was researching HISTORICAL addresses, but could get no more out of them. So I went to the Tourist Office, where the girl (whose English was excellent) agreed that their suggestion was nuts. But, maybe not so nuts, because she was able to tell me to go to the Library, which opened at 1:30. I went.

The Archives are only open Wednesdays and Saturdays, but I explained I was on the 6PM ferry and headed back to Canada, and the librarian made an exception for me! She found me the book! No flash photography and no pens were allowed, but I poured through it for about an hour. What a find!